The Seattle Kraken is the NHL’s 32nd franchise, the first professional hockey team in Seattle since the Seattle Totems finished their 1974-75 season in the then-pro Western Hockey League. The Kraken will play at Climate Pledge Arena, which is undergoing a transformation to develop the arena originally constructed for the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair (saving the landmark roof) into a state of the art facility, which will bring the best of live sport, music and entertainment to the city,
The story of both the Kraken and Climate Pledge Arena began with a commitment to look to the future and do things differently. We are developing cutting edge technology to optimize the fan experience. We are partnering with private and public leadership to ensure efficient and responsible transportation options to and from the Arena. We are setting the standard in sustainable facilities operations. We are building the most beautiful arena and the best NHL facility in the land, the Kraken Community Iceplex; to not only house the team but the community with three sheets of ice under the one roof.
We are also building an enterprise in which everyone feels welcome, and developing the most diverse and inclusive hockey culture in the country, if not the world. These aspirations were born of our ownership’s vision to not only bring professional hockey back to Seattle and reinvent a historic landmark, but to advance positive change in our community.
Now the Seattle Kraken and Climate Pledge Arena are joining forces to create One Roof Foundation, which will serve as the philanthropic arm of both organizations. We invite our fans and our community to join forces with One Roof to ensure that all young people in our region have a roof over their heads, know that hockey is their game too, and have fresh air to breathe. We are in this together – under One Roof.
We envision a more equitable society and a healthy planet where all people can realize a brighter future.
We advance equity and sustainability by increasing opportunities to thrive for our most vulnerable young people and communities.
- The well-being of one individual is connected to the well-being of every other individual; that homelessness, racism, and inequity of opportunity, don’t affect only certain communities, but all of us.
- The health of humanity is inextricably tied to the health of our planet.
- We are all in this together, under One Roof.
Land and peoples acknowledgement statement
One Roof Foundation acknowledges that we are on the homelands of the Coast Salish peoples, who continue to steward these lands and waters as they have since time immemorial. We recognize Washington’s tribal nations and Native organizations, who actively create, shape and contribute to our thriving communities.
One Roof Foundation, in partnership with Seattle Kraken, Climate Pledge Arena, and the Kraken Community Iceplex are committed to doing our part to engage with, and amplify the voices of, Native peoples and tribes.
This statement is intended to:
- Affirm the true stories of the people who have, and continue to live here.
- Share respect for the ongoing leadership of Native peoples in relation to the lands and waters.
- Express and encourage gratitude for Native peoples’ contributions to our histories, economy, identity, and culture.
- Encourage conversation and healing through the development of deeper connections with the Native peoples of our region.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
One Roof Foundation, Seattle Kraken, Climate Pledge Arena, and the Kraken Community Iceplex are writing a new playbook in sports and entertainment that includes EVERYONE.